A Portrait of Mary Vaux
April 13, 2018
A Portrait of Mary Vaux is a spellbinding glimpse into the life of an energetic woman who eluded Victorian social conventions to pursue her passion for the mountains.
This dramatic presentation creates a vivid portrait of a remarkable woman, who, with her brothers, conducted the first studies of glaciers in Canada. Whether she is running the household for her Philadelphia Quaker family, revelling in the freedom of the mountains, or sharing her passion for nature and photography through lantern slides, Mary's individuality, determination, and keen wit shine through.
- Created by Shirley Truscott
- Photo Credit: Ice Forefoot of Illecillewaet Glacier (no. 81) 8/17/99, 1899
Vaux Family fonds (V653/NG-596)
Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies
- Shirley Truscott as Mary Vaux
- Photo credit: Gary Truscott
- Elizabeth Sorochan on Cello